The Wasatch & District Pipe Band is dedicated to the education of new talent, as well as providing continued education for those who are already pipers or drummers. To get connected with some of the most talented piping and drumming instructors in the state, please fill out the form at the link below.

Education Inquiry Form

We encourage you who have an interest in learning bagpiping or Scottish drumming, and in participating in activities that would help you grow and be successful musically, to join Wasatch and District Pipe Band. Ask us about sitting in on one of our rehearsals! Contact us here.

General Instruction FAQs:

How old do I have to be to start lessons? We sometimes start students as young as 7 or 8 years old and work with adults of any age. The most important indicator of musical success is effort, not age.

What level of musical training or background is required for lessons? No prior musical education or training is required to begin learning bagpipes or Scottish drumming. We teach musical theory in addition to the techniques of each instrument.

How much should I practice? Beginning students and students younger than 13 or so should practice about 20-60 minutes a day for 4-6 days each week. As students become more proficient on their instrument and increase their ability to focus, they should increase their practice time to 60-120 minutes a day for 6-7 days each week.

Are lessons expensive? Private lessons are reasonably priced and are usually very affordable for families. Instruction is arranged through the band's teaching program. We are also working to secure a location for free beginner group instruction.

How do I get started? Ready to take the first step? Fill out the form at the link above and our band manager will contact you very soon!

Piping FAQs:

Do I need a set of bagpipes to get started? No, students start by learning on a practice chanter, something that looks and sounds a bit like a squeaky recorder. Most students will spend 4-8 months on a practice chanter before they progress to playing on the great highland pipes. The instructor you choose will give you more information on where you can purchase a practice chanter.

What materials do I need to start taking lessons? New students need a practice chanter, chanter reed, and sometimes your instructor will require an instruction book. We recommend you speak with an instructor before purchasing a practice chanter so they can help you find the right one for the size of your (or your child's) hands.

Drumming FAQs:

Do I need a drum to get started? No, students start by learning on a practice pad. It is uncommon for pipe band drummers to purchase their own drums; pipe bands usually purchase drums as a band expense and issue these band-owned drums to their drummers. Drumming students will be required to provide their own practice pad and sticks or mallets. Contact us for information on where you can purchase these inexpensive items.

What drum will I play? Pipe bands feature three types of drums: snare drum, tenor drum, and bass drum. The snare drum is similar to marching band snare drumming, but with different techniques and rudiments. Most bands feature 3-10 snare drummers. The tenor drum is a single drum with a specific tone. Most bands feature 1-5 tenors drummers who each play a different tone of tenor drum. Tenor drummers must also learn to flourish (skilled synchronized spinning of their mallets) in addition to learning general percussion skills. The bass drum is a large drum that is similar to marching band bass drumming. Most bands feature a single bass drummer. We teach snare, tenor, and bass. Students can choose which instrument they want to play. Some students choose to start with one drum and learn others as they progress in their musical abilities.


The Wasatch & District Pipe Band's Scholarship Fund allows local piping and drumming students to take advantage of educational opportunities such as private instruction, workshops, and summer schools. Please support our students as they work to further their musical education and learn more about the culture and tradition of Scottish music. Your contributions are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Code 501(c)(3). Donate here, noting "Education Scholarship Fund".